Monday 29 January 2024

 Guest Post With Morton S. Gray

I am very pleased to welcome another fellow Cariad member to the blog this week. Her novel, A New Arrival in Borteen Bay, was published by Choc Lit, an imprint of JOFFE Publishing, on January 23rd. Described as 'a brand new and utterly heart-warming feel-good romance', it is the seventh book of seven in her The Secrets of Borteen Bay series. 

Welcome back to the blog, Morton. Thank you for taking the time out of what I know has been a full and exciting week for you around your publication day. It's over to you. 

What do I like (and not like) about being an author?

I’m sitting in a coffee shop writing this blog post for Jan. That’s one of the things I like about writing – you can do it anywhere. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to be an author and even though I’ve just had my seventh novel published I’m still not sure it still feels real. I love the writing process and particularly that time when I’m in the zone, totally wrapped up in my story and my characters seem to talk to me, guiding me through the story and insisting I write things down. I’m less keen when they do that in the middle of the night or when I’m in the shower though!

I particularly love it when a character seemingly disagrees with a direction or decision I have made for them. It’s almost as if they become real people to me and if I ignore their opinions the book won’t flow at all. That’s one of the reasons I don’t plot my novels in great detail in advance as things rarely go to plan. I particularly found this when I was writing A New Arrival in Borteen Bay, my latest published novel. In this one there are actually four main characters, Skye, Adam, Buzz and Wynn, all seemingly with their own opinions on the story! At times it was difficult to keep the four of them under control.

The part about being a writer I find most difficult is keeping up a social media presence. Writers tend to be people who like their own company as they have to spend such a long time on their own wrestling with words. I personally am quite shy, known for my teenage blushing, which is one of the reasons that I use a pen name. Morton S. Gray can be much bolder than real me. Morton Gray can be confident in interviews and on social media, but I’d still much rather lurk in the background.

However, I have discovered that I am actually quite good at networking online and have built up a solid base of writing friends, who all joined in when my latest novel A New Arrival in Borteen Bay was launched on 23 January 2024. I was overwhelmed and thankful for the support, lovely comments and reposts.

 

And what happens when you’ve launched a book out into the world? Well, you start the process all over again. Although, of course, you are rarely working on one novel at a time. I am usually researching and writing, whilst the ones that have been published are being promoted. So maybe one writing skill should be listed as juggling.

Bio

Morton lives in Worcestershire, U.K. She has been reading and writing fiction for as long as she can remember, penning her first attempt at a novel at age fourteen. She is a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association and The Society of Authors. 

Morton worked for many years in the electricity industry in staff development and training. She is a qualified hypnotherapist and Reiki Master. She enjoys crafts, history and loves tracing family trees. Having a hunger for learning new things is a bonus for the research behind her books.

Social Media Links

You can catch up with Morton on her:

website/blog www.mortonsgray.com

on Twitter - @MortonSGray

her Facebook page – Morton S. Gray Author - https://www.facebook.com/mortonsgray/ 

and Instagram - @mortonsgrayauthor - https://www.instagram.com/morton_s_gray/

Buying Link


Published 23 January 2024 by Choc Lit an imprint of Joffe Books

Morton S. Gray – A New Arrival in Borteen Bay



BLURB 

FALL IN LOVE WITH AN UTTERLY IRRESISTIBLE, BRAND-NEW ROMANCE ABOUT FRESH BEGINNINGS AND LETTING GO OF THE PAST.

Skye knows it’s now or never. It’s time for her to reveal herself to the father she’s never met.

So she hops on a plane from Dublin to the English seaside town of Borteen. 

But between the father she’s just getting to know and her worried mother, Skye realizes that the past is never that simple as a whirlwind of secrets turns their world upside down.

And now Skye has Adam, the hunky guy next door, to contend with. He’s determined to show her there’s room in her life for love.

Skye thinks they’re better off as friends, but Adam has other ideas. Even when she reveals a secret of her own.

Will Skye allow history to repeat itself? Or will she let go of the secrets of the past and open herself up to the future?

This uplifting and feel-good romance is perfect for fans of Beth Moran, Shari Low, Jessica Redland, Sue Moorcroft or Isabella Connor.

Thank you. Morton. We often read about the inspiration behind a book or a writer's writing journey, but we don't often hear about what an author likes or dislikes about the 'job'. I loved the part where you say your characters are real people who talk to you and share their opinions in order for the book to flow.

Thank you for reading. I'm sure like me you found Morton's post interesting. If you are an author, please share what you like best and what you like least about being a writer. How do they compare with what Morton has said? 
 
You may also follow me on:
X/Twitter - @JanBaynham
FaceBook - Jan Baynham Writer
Instagram - janbaynham

For more information about me and my books, please visit my Amazon page.

Did you know that all my novels are available to read on Kindle Unlimited for those of you who subscribe?
'I just adore Jan Baynham's books - they each read like a beautiful saga - stretching over a couple of generations, the stories just grab you and draw you in.' 
Amazon Reviewer 5*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment