Monday 5 February 2024

 Guest Post with Imogen Martin

This week, it's my real pleasure to welcome back Imogen Martin, another fellow Cariad author, to the blog. Imogen's second novel is to be published by Storm Publishing on February 7th. After the success of her wonderful debut novel, Under a Gilded Sky, last September (You may read her blog post about it here.), To the Wild Horizon is already receiving rave reviews on NetGalley. After finishing an ARC of the novel last night, I'm not surprised; it's superb.

Imogen, welcome. I think you are going to tell us what comes first when you start to write your novels. It's over to you!

Chicken or egg? Does the story or the research come first for a historical novel?

Actually, for me, it’s neither. It’s the characters. I’m interested in people, and more than anything, in people falling in love. 

Authors are advised to find big obstacles for their protagonists to overcome. They don’t come much bigger than the Oregon Trail: 2,000 miles and six months of danger and back-breaking work. These words were written by Edwin Bryant, a pioneer who made the journey in 1846, the year I set my novel: “The trip is a sort of magic mirror, and exposes every man’s qualities of heart connected with it, vicious or amiable.” I put part of this observation in the mouth of my heroine Grace Sinclair.

Grace has shot her landlord and doesn’t know if she has killed him. Terrified about what will happen to her – and to her young brother if he is left all alone in the world – she lies in order to get on the next wagon train West.

Grace is determined, brave and resourceful. She is also vulnerable and has to struggle in a man’s world. Unfortunately for Grace, one of the biggest misogynists is Captain Randolph, who is in charge of the wagon train. Whilst the pioneers are going on a physical journey, Randolph’s journey is one of changing attitudes.

But there is no getting away from the research, of course. Luckily, I really love doing it and it deepens the novel. Captain James B Randolph is partly based on a real person: Randolph Barnes Marcy. I toyed with using his surname, but as I model my captain on Jane Austen’s Mr Darcy, I thought that might be stretching things. Marcy is known for his frontier guidebook The Prairie Traveler, published in 1859. It became an indispensable guide for overlanders – and provided me with lots of authentic information, although it is riddled with the racism of the time.

I spent hours poring over maps, particularly the series produced by Captain Frémont in 1846. I looked at photographs and paintings, read about military equipment, and learned how wagons are constructed. I am a visual person so I printed off images and made a collage taped to my office wall. 

I even spent a day on a firing range, to learn how a rifle feels. Yes, this is me in the photo.

I hope the research gives the book an authentic feel which means readers can lose themselves in it for a few days. That’s what reading is about, isn’t it? Using our imaginations to find out what it feels like to be someone else. In To The Wild Horizon, we’re finding out how two very different people overcome challenges and fall in love.   

Buying Link

To The Wild Horizon: https://geni.us/179-al-aut-am

Social Media Links

Website: https://imogenmartinauthor.com

Twitter / X : https://twitter.com/ImogenMartin9

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ImogenMartin.Author/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/imogenmartinauthor/?hl=en-g 

Author Bio

Imogen writes sweeping, historical fiction. Her first two novels are set in nineteenth-century America.

As a teenager, she took the Greyhound bus from San Francisco to New York. Over those three days of staring out of the window at the majestic mountains and endless flat plains, stories wound themselves into her head: tales of brooding, charismatic men captivated by independent women.

Since then, she has worked in a coffee shop in Piccadilly, a famous bookstore, and a children’s home. She has run festivals and turned a derelict housing block on one of the poorest estates in the UK into an award-winning arts centre.

During 2020, Imogen was selected by Kate Nash Literary Agency as one of their BookCamp mentees, a mentorship programme designed to accelerate the careers of promising new writers.

Married with two children, Imogen divides her time between Wales and Sardinia.

She hopes her books will bring you the tingle of a new love affair whilst immersed in a different time and place.

Blurb

Missouri, 1846: In the frontier town of Independence the sound of a gunshot shatters the night. As the pistol drops from her hand and clatters to the ground, Grace knows she has no choice but to leave. Now.

In this inspiring and deeply moving story of love, courage and endurance, a young woman on the run from the law sets off on a desperate journey of survival on the treacherous Oregon Trail.

Terrified she’s wanted for the murder of her landlord, Grace is certain that, even though she acted in self-defence, no one will believe her. Quickly packing the few belongings she and her little brother Tom possess, they race to join the line of dusty wagons preparing to leave for Oregon.

As they set off, over the perilous Great Plains, knowing the wild rivers and the Rocky Mountains they must cross, Grace vows to do whatever it takes to protect Tom and get them both to safety. She will prove herself capable of surviving the hardest journey of her life.

This unputdownable and heart-wrenching historical novel shows the true strength and resilience of a woman’s heart, even when she has everything to lose and the odds are stacked against her.

What readers say about To the Wild Horizon:

Incredible!!!!!” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

One of my favourite reads of the year. I absolutely loved it. A heartwarming, enticing, and intriguing tale of courage, love, compassion and resilience. This story will keep you on edge until the very last page.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I absolutely loved this book. I couldn’t put it down. I couldn’t fall asleep because I had to know what was going to happen next. Incredible… I loved every second.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

“Truly special. You will be swept along in a truly epic and romantic tale of love, endurance and hope.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

“The perfect blend of adventure, romance, and a woman’s strength. I fell in love with Grace and her compassionate heart… I couldn’t put this down.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I did not want this novel to end. I spent most of the night reading it. What an awesome adventure! I highly recommend it.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

“A fabulous book! I was hooked from page one. I couldn't put it down.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book is fantastic! This is a story of hardship and struggle, but ultimately it’s a story of love and survival.” Reader review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Wow! You must be thrilled with those reviews. Having just finished To the Wild Horizon, I must say they are very well deserved. What impressed me in both of your novels was evidence of the meticulous research you must have done and you've confirmed how important research is to you in this post.

Thank you for reading. I'm sure like me you found Imogen's post very interesting, especially the bit where she spent a day on a rifle range learning how a rifle feels. If you're a writer, what is the most unusual piece of research you've done to give more authenticity to your novel? I'd love it if you shared what that was. Thank you.

You may also follow me on:
X/Twitter - @JanBaynham
FaceBook - Jan Baynham Writer
Instagram - janbaynham

For more information about me and my books, please visit my Amazon page.

Did you know that all my novels are available to read on Kindle Unlimited for those of you who subscribe?
'I just adore Jan Baynham's books - they each read like a beautiful saga - stretching over a couple of generations, the stories just grab you and draw you in.' 
Amazon Reviewer 5*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment