Thursday 4 January 2024

Reflecting Back and Looking Forward

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The blog is ten years old this January and when I started it back in 2014, the advice for would-be writers was to have a blog. Jan's Journey into Writing began. At the time I was writing short stories and only dreaming of completing a full-length novel. I made many friends online through the blog and I still like going back to read those early posts and especially the comments from readers. Over the years, though, the number of readers has diminished and certainly, those who take the time to comment are often in single figures. So, is the ten-year anniversary the time to stop and move on to a newsletter? Or can you successfully have both?

In 2023, I wrote 23 blog posts. Fourteen of those were guest writers who wrote about their forthcoming books and for me, supporting other authors is one of the most rewarding features of running a blog. I love hearing about the 'stories behind the stories,' the research writers have undertaken and about their writing journeys. Until I get my newsletter started (which I should have done by now!), I shall continue with the blog if only to invite other writers to tell us about their books. Watch this space for news of a newsletter! 

2023 was an eventful year for me. In February, I submitted my fourth novel having extensively researched it the previous year with visits to the Italian POW Chapel in Henllan, near Llandyssul, West Wales, attending an open day at Hut 9 Prisoner of War Camp in Bridgend and a wonderful trip to Sicily itself. My previous publisher, Ruby, an imprint of Choc Lit, was taken over by a much larger publisher in March and The Secret Sister was published by JOFFE BOOKS in August. I have been delighted with the way that the novel has been received, both maintaining a fairly respectable Amazon ranking and with 809 ratings/reviews to date. Messages from readers about how much they have enjoyed the story have been very rewarding. My only problem now is that the old imposter syndrome is back with a vengeance and I worry about what readers will think of novel five. But, did I feel the same at this stage with The Secret Sister

Because my other novels were published during COVID, this time I was able to have my first proper book launch, that was shared with lovely Cariad author friend, Imogen Martin, whose wonderful debut, Under a Gilded Sky, was published by Storm in September. 

In 2023, I did two library talks, one at Blackwood Library, Gwent and the other at Builth Wells Library in mid-Wales. They both took place before the publication of The Secret Sister. 

In August, I attended the RNA Conference in Imperial College, Kensington, my first since before the pandemic. It was excellent; I learned so much and enjoyed catching up with old friends and making new ones. The highlight was meeting the editors of my new publisher and spending time with them. 

I went on two writing retreats, one day at Parc Bryn Bach, near Tredegar, with the writing group from Blackwood Library, and a four-day residential retreat with the Cariad Chapter of the RNA at Painscastle in mid-Wales. Being able to focus and immerse myself in my writing with other authors was wonderful. 

I was pleased to attend the annual launch of the Worcestershire LitFest Flash Fiction 2023 Anthology again this year. Three of my flashes were included and I read out the one that had been shortlisted. 

I took part in NaNoWriMo again this year and wrote over 50,000 words of the first draft of novel five. I shall be telling you more about that in the coming months. The working title is The Silent Sister but I expect that will change. Are you like me? I have to have a title and cannot work with just a novel number as a title.

A big thank you for your support in 2023. 

So what are my writing plans and goals for 2024?

Back in 2014, they were very specific when I was mainly writing short stories. Now, my goals have more to do with my novels:

  • to complete the first draft of The Silent Sister 
  • to edit and polish it until it is as good as I can get it
  • to submit to my editor
  • to make a research trip to Kefalonia where the novel is partially set
  • to start a newsletter and build up a list of subscribers
  • to attend the RNA Conference in August at Royal Holloway
  • to continue to support other writers
  • to start researching and planning novel six, to be set in Crete.
Wish me luck! 

Thank you for reading. Which do you prefer? Reading a blog or a newsletter or both? What makes you comment on a blog post? I'd love to know. Thanks.
You may also follow me on:
X/Twitter - @JanBaynham
FaceBook - Jan Baynham Writer
Instagram - janbaynham

For morer information about me and my books, please visit my Amazon page.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment