Sunday 21 April 2024

My Debut Novel's Fourth Birthday

Four years today, I became a published novelist for the first time when Her Mother’s Secret – the Summer of ’69 entered the world. As a very late starter to fiction writing, it was a dream come true. There was no formal launch, no celebratory meal at a fancy restaurant and no meeting up with friends and family. We were at the height of COVID restrictions and couldn't go anywhere but it didn't detract from how I felt on that day. 

You may read about my special day here:

PUBLICATION DAY - 21st April 2020 

I hope that from the post you can tell how thrilled I was that day. I remember it as if it was yesterday. Becoming a published author was something I'd only ever dreamed about and there I was sending my novel out to be read by others. I had a feeling of excitement yet I was nervous, too. How was it going to be received? What if it was a real flop? I knew I'd worked hard to get it as good as it could as I could make it and I was lucky to be working with a super editor but... I was thrilled (and relieved!) once the early reviews started to come in.

With all the restrictions on travel and as my novel is partially set on a Greek island, the book soon became an escapist read. I began receiving messages from readers about how they enjoyed travelling to beautiful Greece via their armchairs, soaking up the sunshine and sampling the Greek food and drink. For a few hours at least, they were able to forget about the dire situation we were in.  

Being my first published novel, Her Mother's Secret will always be very special for me. I loved writing it as I was able to reminisce about holidays spent in my favourite country while, at the same time, exploring the more serious themes of family secrets, the bond between mothers and daughters, forbidden love, new romantic love and a sense of identity.



Recently, the novel had had a makeover. It has a new cover, a new title and a new blurb. 







Blurb:

Previously published as Her Mother's Secret - the Summer of '69.

A secret diary. Love lost. And love found...

Greece, 1969. Reeling from a devastating loss, free-spirited Elin Morgan escapes to a sun-drenched Greek island. She seeks shelter among the blue-painted shutters, bobbing fishing boats and lanes lined with olive trees.

Up the hill from the taverna where she is staying, Elin rekindles her love of painting at a tiny art studio, and with the help of handsome wood-carver, Stelios, unlocks hidden passions.

But their carefree summer isn't to last. Elin leaves, taking with her a shocking secret that will span decades.

Wales, 1991. Art student, Alexandra, is unmoored by the death of her beloved mother, Elin. She doesn't know what to do when she learns she's been left a beautiful old diary.

Elein's journal tells of the summer she spent on a Greek island in 1969 and gives Alexandra her blessing to find out the truth about her past.

With just the old diary to guide her, she seeks answers to long-buried secrets. And as Alexandra begins to see the world through her young mother's eyes, she realises that some love stories have no ending.

This captivating and unforgettable story about the bonds between mother and daughter, set on a Greek island decades apart, is perfect for fans of Fiona Valpy, Louise Douglas, Kate Frost, T. A. Williams, Mandy Baggot, Francesca Catlow or Chris Penhall.

Buying Links:

Available as an eBook, on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback and Audio.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greek-Island-Secret-spellbinding-historical-ebook/dp/B0D135N3RB/

https://www.amazon.com/Greek-Island-Secret-spellbinding-historical-ebook/dp/B0D135N3RB/

Thank you for reading. You may also follow me on:

You may also follow me on:
X/Twitter - @JanBaynham
FaceBook - Jan Baynham Writer
Instagram - janbaynham

For more information about me and my books, please visit my Amazon page.

Did you know that all my novels are available to read on Kindle Unlimited for those of you who subscribe?
'I just adore Jan Baynham's books - they each read like a beautiful saga - stretching over a couple of generations, the stories just grab you and draw you in.' 

Amazon Reviewer 5*

No comments:

Post a Comment