Tuesday 21 December 2021

Looking Back on 2021

The last year didn't turn out to be as we all hoped it would. Restrictions were still in place but gradually we were able to meet family and friends again in the summer months. However, with the arrival of the Omicron variant, tighter restrictions are being put in place to protect the vulnerable and the NHS, with travel to celebrate Christmas with loved ones abroad becoming limited. 

The highlight for me was the publication of my third novel, Her Nanny's Secret, in September. Set in rural mid-Wales and Normandy, in 1941 and 1963, it's a story I loved writing. Published originally as an e-book and in audio, the fact that all three novels are now available in paperback has opened my readership up to readers who only like to read the printed page. It's been so lovely to receive messages from readers saying how much they've enjoyed the story, and together with others who have taken time to write their wonderful reviews, this is what makes an author's writing life worthwhile. Thank you, everyone.

Novel four is still in the planning and research stage but after Christmas, I shall start writing the story itself.  Part of my research has led me to find out more about Italian Prisoners of War who built chapels in which to worship whilst here in Britain. This beautiful booklet telling the story of Orkney's Italian Chapel was brought back from there for me by author, Vicki Beeby, whose new series about the WRENs is set in Orkney. Thank you, Vicki. 


On December 5th, I took part in the Zoom launch of the anthology of Flash Fiction entries from The Worcestershire Literary Festival 2021 in which I had two flashes. I read out one of them, Guilty Secrets, and was proud to be part of the celebration again this year. 






Thank you for reading and all your support this year. What has been the highlight of 2021 for you? I'd love it if you left a comment. 

You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBaynham and on my Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page. You can also find out about me and my books on my Jan Baynham Amazon page.


Wishing you all a very happy and safe Christmas. See you in 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment