Wednesday 21 August 2024

 RNA CONFERENCE 2024

Just over a week ago, I travelled with my good writer friends, Sue McDonagh and Catherine Burrows to Egham, Surrey, for the RNA's annual conference. This year it was held at Royal Holloway University. Nothing could have prepared me for the stunning venue with its amazing architecture and history. The Founder's Building alone was both magical inside and out. After last year's event, I wondered how the organisers were going to top that conference but they did! I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and would like to publicly thank those organisers for their hard work and meticulous planning. 

We left Cardiff on Thursday 8th August by train and stayed in a Premier Inn not far from the venue so we could arrive early the next day when the conference officially started. 




We arrived by taxi to be greeted by a sea of excited faces to register and receive our goody bags and our keys for our accommodation. 

It was a very hot weekend and we were glad of the paper-heart fans we found in the bags. Here we are showing them off in the Welcome Meeting:

Courtesy of Virginia Heath


Over the three days, I attended some excellent talks and workshops, learned a lot and now need to reflect on that learning before I put it into practice. These included Sue Moorcroft's 'The Trickier Bits of Fiction', 'What's Your Hook?' with Fiona Lucas, Melissa Addey's 'How to Make and Use Book Trailers' and our fellow Cariad, Imogen Martin's 'Author IT for the Technically Challenged'.I definitely needed that one! The last two sessions on Sunday were ones I definitely gained a lot from, too - 'What a Great Idea!' delivered by Emma Robinson and, perhaps because setting plays such an important part in my own novels, Leonie Mack's 'Beyond Description: Using Setting to Enhance Your Story'.

The whole weekend was action-packed with a Hopeless Romantic Quiz on Friday night  - where I really was hopeless! - and the Gala party with its Barbeque and Disco on Saturday evening. Also included were the Joan Hessayon and Elizabeth Goudge awards, held in the stunningly beautiful Portrait Gallery. 


It was a wonderful conference. As well as all the learning, it was so good to catch up with old friends, meet others in person for the first time as well as make lots of new acquaintances.

Thank you for reading. What do you like most about attending conferences? What are the benefits? 

Thank you for reading. 
You may also follow me on:
X/Twitter - @JanBaynham
FaceBook - Jan Baynham Writer
Instagram - janbaynham

For more information about me and my books, please visit my Amazon page.

Did you know that all my novels are available to read on Kindle Unlimited for those of you who subscribe?
Shortlisted for Romantic Saga of the Year 2024
'I was transported to stunning Sicily and enjoyed the senses evoked through the setting and food. The mystery woven into the novel is compelling, and I love the art theme.'
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment