Monday 7 February 2022

 Guest Post With Jo Boden



Today I'm delighted to welcome author, Joanne Boden, to the blog. Jo's debut novel, Escape to Little Bluewater Bay,  was published by Choc Lit on January 31st.

Jo, welcome. I think you're going to tell us something about the inspiration behind your new novel. Over to you!

Hello Jan and thank you so much for inviting me onto your blog to
celebrate the publication of Escape to Little Bluewater Bay. I am so excited to share Willow and Noah’s story! I thought it’d be a nice idea to write about the inspiration behind the novel.

A grandmother and granddaughter relationship 

I felt the need to write about the relationship between a grandmother and granddaughter. This was my initial idea. The grandmother in the story, Annie, is very much an amalgamation of my maternal and paternal grandmothers, both of whom have now sadly passed away. 

I thought it’d be fun to explore the relationship between the generations. I wanted to show the strength of older women and how a grandmother can help guide a young woman through a difficult period in her life. I also wanted to write about the joy and life and love that embodies this relationship. 

A winter-themed romance 

I loved the idea of writing a winter-themed romance.  There’s something so incredibly romantic about sharing hot chocolates and getting to know that special someone when cosied up together in front of an open fire. So, I needed to find a location and I needed to set it in the winter. What better than a remote island in January? Once I'd come up with the setting and time of year, I then had to think about the kind of man Willow would meet on the island. Why had Noah moved to the island? What was his backstory? I had a lot of fun creating Noah Atkinson. 

So, I had everything I needed to create a winter-themed romance. The seaside location, the friendly cafe along the shore and the handsome man, a loner, who lives in a shack off the beach.

 The slower pace of life 


Little Bluewater Bay has no Wi-Fi and for very good reason. I wanted there to be fewer
distractions. The inhabitants are not plugged into smartphones or laptops. When Willow turns up in the bay, she begins to appreciate the 
joy of outdoor life – walking on the beach, absorbing and appreciating nature and simply being able to take a step back and breathe. I suppose writing this novel during lockdown helped me to focus on the most important things in my life. Being able to access outdoor space, to go for a walk, and chat with people. I wanted Little Bluewater Bay to echo these qualities and to evoke a feeling of times gone by. 

The lack of technology and the remoteness of the island also contribute to the characters slowing down, both physically and mentally. They have time to sit and think, to talk to others and to share a hot chocolate while putting the world to rights.

 A feel-good read

I also wanted to write an uplifting story – a feel-good read, full of hope. I love reading books that make me feel good and leave me feeling hopeful and happy. When Willow travels to Little Bluewater Bay, she is a little lost in life and not in a good place. This was my starting point for creating a feel-good romantic read.

Thank you, Jo. I enjoyed hearing about what inspired you to write Willow and Noah's story. Judging by the excellent reviews the novel has already received, it sounds as if you have achieved your aim of writing an uplifting and feel-good story.

BLURB

Start the new year in Little Bluewater Bay…

New year, new Willow Jenkins? All Willow knows is that she needs an escape. So, she takes an extended break from her PR job and retreats to her grandmother’s cosy cottage by the sea in Little Bluewater Bay, where a limitless supply of hot chocolate will soothe her broken heart and a limited wi-fi connection will prevent her workaholic tendencies.

Willow is soon made to feel welcome by friendly locals – although grumpy artist Noah Atkinson doesn’t seem to like her very much. Just what is his problem?

But then Willow is asked by her grandmother to approach Noah with a very special commission, only to discover that he hasn’t painted people for a long time – and with good reason. Will he make an exception, and in doing so usher in a hopeful and healing new era for them both?

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/JoBodenAuthor

Twitter: @JoBodenAuthor

BUYING LINKS

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Little-Bluewater-Bay-hopeful-ebook/dp/B09M4337G2/

Choc Lit: https://www.choc-lit.com/dd-product/escape-to-little-bluewater-bay/

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed finding out more about Jo and her novel. If you could escape from your busy life, where would you retreat to, and in what season of the year? I'd love it if you left a comment and told us. Thank you.

You may also follow me on my Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page and on Twitter @JanBaynham

To find out more about my books, visit Jan Baynham Author page on Amazon and on Ruby Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment