Thursday 16 April 2020

Counting Down During Lockdown
As I looked ahead to the publication of my debut novel, never in my wildest dreams could I have envisaged the present state of the world, a world in lockdown to protect us all against a deadly virus. Life as we've known it has virtually come to a stop. 'Her Mother's Secret' is to be published as an ebook by Ruby Fiction next Tuesday on April 21st. I hadn't planned a formal launch party with a book signing and readings as I would have done for a paperback. I was going to have fun celebrating, though. A meal out at a Greek restaurant, trying to make baklavas to share with friends over a glass or two of bubbly, followed by a tot of ouzo, maybe. None of that can happen now. A number of friends whose novels are to be published in paperback have had to cancel their book launches and it must be far more disappointing for them. However, it is much more important that we observe social distancing and self-isolating. Authors are coming up with various ways of  marking publication days.


Magnolias on one of our walks
When Corona virus first arrived in Britain and it was clear that it would spread very quickly, I was glued to every update and bulletin trying to absorb the awful news. When so many were suffering themselves or losing loved ones, celebrating a new book publication didn't seem right. Would it appear insensitive? Having 'met' up virtually with writer friends, we talked about the escapism that reading can provide and how maybe photos of sunnier climes and the setting of much of my novel could lift the spirits. I hope so anyway and hope that's how my counting down posts on Twitter and my FB Writer page are viewed. I know at the moment I like to read about positive acts of support for our wonderful key workers, enjoy humourous sketches or see photos of our beautiful countryside as people take their daily permitted walks. I still watch a daily update and nothing will take away from the grim statistics. 

What have I been doing? I'm very grateful to the fellow authors who have offered guest blog posts or question and answer interviews on their blogs around  the time 'Her Mother's Secret' comes out. Writing the posts and answering questions has proved to be a great way for me to keep in touch with my writing when I don't seem to be able to concentrate long enough to get fully immersed in my WiP. I've also learned about Zoom, the virtual way I've kept in touch by having family meet-ups, meetings with the local Chapter and Slimming World. My Pilates instructor has been providing varied, almost daily Pilates sessions live online and I have enjoyed these immensely as a start to the day. Our daily walks in this amazing weather have proved to be the uplift we need and we've found walks around the village we didn't know existed!

Last Monday, the first of the blog posts was published on Jessie Cahalin's wonderful Books in my Handbag Blog. A big thank you to her for featuring me on her blog. If you haven't already read it, please do. I talk about what inspired me to write Elin and Alexandra's stories.

Five days to go:
Villa Anastasia
'The large wrought iron gates were padlocked and the pristine white shutters securely fastened down over the windows. A card had been stuck to the top of the post box with an Athens address for re-directing mail.'

Part of the novel, Elin's story, is set in 1969. Next Tuesday, why not pop over to follow me @JanBaynham on Twitter and on my Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page? It would be great to see you there and I'd love it if you shared photos of yourself dressed in 60s gear or in 60s fancy dress. Thanks. I shall be sharing some 60s music, too. Although Bryan Adams didn't release this until June 1985, I'll leave you with this. Please turn the sound right up.
Thanks for reading!  

The Summer of '69



Amazon UK link: Her Mother's Secret - the Summer of '69
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Her-Mothers-Secret-Summer-69-ebook/

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to escaping into your new novel, Jan. Have a fabulous launch at home! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. Even though these are such strange times, I did enjoy the day. People were very generous in sending good wishes and congratulations, sharing posts and announcements on Facebook as well liking and retweeting tweets on Twitter. In the evening we had planned a virtual celebration with the children and older grandchildren which my daughter had extended to other family members and some friends. It was a real surprise!

      Delete
  2. A lovely uplifting post, Jan. I shall certainly look forward to a gloriously large slice of escapism with your book and look forward to cheering you on on publication day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. That's kind of you. I hope you'll enjoy your virtual trip with Elin and Alexandra. x

      Delete
  3. Hi Jan. I’ve only just discovered your blog and I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts. I’m writing my first novel and although I’m having a ball writing, I have to admit to not having the foggiest idea of what I should or should not be doing or what to do once it’s finished! I’ve probably gone about it totally the wrong way and should have attended a course or at least done a little research first! Reading your blog posts have been inspiring and given me good for thought.
    How excited you must be about the publication of your book. I hope that there will be a little plate smashing and Zorba the Greek dancing happening at home. I was only 10 in 1969 and my parents rarely took photos so I have no photos from that time. I do recall though that I loved to wear a shocking pink and gold brocade dress that my mum made. Holidays were in caravans in rain swept Cornwall or Wales but fast forward a decade and I was back packing in the Greek Islands with the love of my life!
    Thanks again for a great new blog to enjoy and have fun with Zoom which I’m still getting my head around!
    Brigitte xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments about the blog. Enjoy your writing journey and good luck. How exciting that you went back packing in Greece. It's something I wished I'd done. My hubbie and I always said we'd like to have gone island hopping and never did. WE try to make up for it by visiting as conventional tourists now!

      Delete