Wednesday 16 January 2019

New Year Thoughts
Two weeks in, I'm a bit late this year but would like to wish you all a very happy and healthy new year. For the writers among you, I hope that 2019 will be a successful one when you realise your writing goals and dreams. 

For the first time, we travelled to Madeira to see in the new year. The Christmas lights and New Year's Eve fireworks were as spectacular as we were expecting. Even though it was the first wet and rainy NYE for thirteen years, it didn't dampen our spirits! After a celebratory meal at a restaurant near the hotel, we were taken by coach to a castle over-looking the whole of Funchal, an excellent vantage point only surpassed by the ones from the ten cruise ships moored out in the bay.
It's been busy since I arrived back after the week away. A lively first meeting of the RNA South and West Wales Chapter took place a few days later, followed by a meeting with some writing buddies the following day and then on January 11th, I went to the launch of a writer friend, Vanessa's wonderful debut novel, 'The Woman in the Dark'. Organised by the Griffin Bookshop in Penarth, it was a brilliant evening and it was so good to have a signed copy of the much talked about psychological thriller in my hands at last. The event was very well attended. It was lovely to catch up with writer friends I hadn't seen for a while as well as being there with fellow members of our small writing group where we've followed the progress of Vanessa's book from the outset. Since arriving home and starting the novel, I haven't been able to put it down! Look out for an interview with Vanessa in a few weeks to find out more.
2019 sees the five year anniversary of my blog which was started to follow my writing journey. My next blog post will look back over the last five years to see how my writing has developed. The posts have changed in content as they reflect how my writing has moved from short stories to novels. I will also share my intentions and goals for the coming year.

Thank you for reading. How has your year started? What is the first book you've read in 2019? What makes a book 'a page-turner'? 

You may also follow me on @JanBayLit and on my Jan Baynham Writer page. Thanks.


4 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Jan. Your holiday photos are wonderful. I'm glad you had a good time. Congratulations to Vanessa on the publication of her book. I'll look forward to her appearance on your blog. The first book I read this year was 'The Winter That Made Us' by Kate Field. It is an engrossing story about relationships and how people are affected by unresolved issues in their pasts. As always with one of Kate's books, you get a strong sense of the place. I will look forward with interest to your next blog, about how your writing has developed over time. Sending you good wishes for a happy and productive year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes, Sue. As I enjoy stories about relationships, secrets and pasts, Kate's book definitely fitted the bill for me, too. I loved it and felt I was there with the characters.:-)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Jan! It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Funchal, even with the rain. The Christmas decorations were being constructed when Simon and I were there in November, so it's lovely to see your photos of them lit up.
    'The Woman in the Dark' looks interesting. I'll add it to my TBR list and I hope 2019 is a fabulous writing year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. We’d heard about the lights and fireworks in Funchal and they didn’t disappoint. I highly recommend Vanessa’s book. I finished ‘The Woman in the Dark’ in a few days and its story stayed with me. I appreciate your good wishes for my writing in 2019. I am looking forward to seeking a home for novel number two. I may not get anywhere but it won’t be for the want of trying! Good luck for your writing, too. 🍀🍀🍀

      Delete