Tuesday 2 April 2019

Mothers and Their Secrets
Two days ago was Mothering Sunday, or you may call it Mother's Day. It was, I'm sure, a bitter sweet date on the calendar for many of you like me whose mums are no longer with us. It got me thinking about the strength of the bond between a mother and her children. I have completed two novels and am planning a third. What they all have in common is the relationship between a mother and her daughter and the lengths the mothers will go to in order to protect her child. In all of them, there is a dual narrative - the mother's story and the daughter's story - and all three stories contain secrets.

Rose is the young mother in my first novel, 'The Secret Daughter', set just after WWII. She keeps her forbidden love affair a secret from her parents
How I imagine Greystone Hall
where Rose worked in the kitchens
and when she becomes a mother herself, the maternal bond is too strong for her to 'do the right thing', as the social climate of the time demanded. She involves the one person who means the most to her, her own mother Emma. Without giving away spoilers, Emma's role in the story involves more secrets, keeping the truth both from Rose's father and from Angie, Rose's daughter. When the lies are exposed by accident, we see in Angie's story the effects secrets can have on a family. 


The scene greeting Elin when
 she arrived on Pefká
In 'Whispering Olive Trees', Lexi doesn't know about her mother, Elin's secret until after her death. By leaving Lexi her diary, it is clear that Elin wanted to reveal her secret so that Lexi has a choice and can find out about her mother's life before she was born if she wants to. When Lexi travels to Greece, she goes with her mother's blessing. As the secrets are revealed, Lexi comes to understand why her mother never mentioned her summer spent in Greece again after she returned home. Elin's own mother, Sadie, plays an important role in this story, too.


How I imagine the farm where
 Annie and her family lived 
Annie Evans is the mother in 'The Locket', the working title for book three. Unlike Rose and Elin she has no mother of her own to turn to, her mother having died in childbirth with a younger sibling. She has to take desperate measures for the sake of her daughter and that secret will only be revealed when Clara's well-being is threatened. How and when that will happen will be determined as I plot out the novel. That's my next task!

All three of my stories have secrets at their heart. I'm fascinated by the way families have 'skeletons' in their cupboards and these sometimes only come to light when a family member dies. In real life, we could ask whether it's ever right to keep secrets. In fiction, of course, secrets often make a good story-line. In fact at my first RNA conference, one editor in a 1-to-1 Industry Appointment talked to me about how secrets in stories, in titles even, can make a novel more 'commercial'. 


I've been revisiting two books I've enjoyed that contain secrets. For Mothering Sunday, a few years ago, my daughter bought me 'Mothering Sunday' by Rosie Goodwin. Set in 1884, it's a moving , heart warming saga about a young girl called Sunday Small who was abandoned at birth on the front steps of a workhouse, on a Sunday - hence her name. She is driven on to leave the workhouse and dreams of being re-united with the mother who gave her away. 'Her mother would be tall and slender with hair exactly the same colour as her own, and her eyes would be as blue as bluebells . . . There would be no more chores.' 
Unsure of how the secret would be revealed by the end of the book kept me turning the pages and living every moment with Sunday.

Another book I have thoroughly enjoyed is 'Motherlove' by Thorne Moore.It is very different, being contemporary fiction, and involves 'Three mothers, Two babies, One desperate woman'. Its tagline reads One mother's need is another's nightmare. There are deeply buried secrets in this novel, too. The story is written from each of the characters' points of view, exploring the diverse complexity of what it means to be a mother. The lives of the three mothers and two daughters are linked because of something that happened in the past. 

Thank you for reading. What books involving mothers' secrets would you recommend? Is it ever right for mothers to keep secrets from their children? Have you got secrets as part of your plots in your stories? 

You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBayLit and on my Jan Baynham Writer      Facebook page. 

10 comments:

  1. Well, obviously, I'm going to recommend my own! Hahaha!
    'The Memory Box' by Margaret Forster is brilliant. (Right up your street, Jan I imagine, if you haven't come across it.)
    I love 'Of Blessed Memory', by Erica Jong - a hundred-year epic about a Jewish family in America. Mothers, daughters & grandmothers.
    'My Name is Lucy Barton' by Elizabeth Strout is good.
    And one of my favourites is, 'The Secret Life of Bees.'

    Keeping secrets is always a risk but it's about context & the 'greater good' more often than not. Secrets with the power to hurt may as well be kept. But who judges? The potential hurt person still might want to know - feel they have the right. In fiction, it is as you say, a lot easier. Secrets are the backbone of many great books.
    I write them, for sure. My third has a devastating secret at it's heart.
    I read what you have to say about your stories & each time think, why can't I read these books yet! Someone, somewhere needs to publish you! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Carol. What a lovely thing to say! Thank you. I've made a note of the titles you recommend. I've enjoyed reading some of Margaret Forster's books so will start with that one. I can't wait to find out what the secret is in your third book. I think your comment about whether a secret may potentially hurt someone is often the reason that secrets are kept in the first place. Today, it's often felt people should know whatever the consequences. But who picks up the pieces, then? In fiction, thank goodness, secrets can make excellent reading. . .

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree... Secrets are powerful. And the fallout from revealing them can be shocking.
      Thank goodness for fiction then - safety in fiction! xXx

      Delete
  2. Just realised I forgot. To The Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added to the list, thank you. I read it years and years ago so must re-visit.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it interesting how writer explore similar themes in their books. Do we all do it? I love the idea of secrets and they make such a good basis for a plot. Part of being human is having the need to have questions answered and get to the bottom of a mystery or a puzzle.

    You ask whether your blog-readers are writing books with secrets at present - and I can tell you that I am. I have two girls who are keeping secrets. For one of them, it is a big family secret that she has grown up with and it has had a profound effect on her.

    I agree with Carol's comment about wanting to read your books. The more I hear about them, the more intriguing they sound. Fingers crossed that they find a publisher soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. That's kind. I love the sound of the two girls, especially the one with the big family secret. I hope to be reading about them soon.

      Delete
  4. CONTACT PRIEST AZIBA FOR A POWERFUL SPELL TO HELP YOU GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU BROKE UP OR WHOM HE/SHE MAY BE WITH NOW PRIEST AZIBA WILL HELP YOU GET THEM BACK CONTACT PRIEST VIA WHATSAPP: +2348100368288
    I am from United State,Michigan. I did not believe in Love spell magic for i thought and believed it was not real until the day that my Husband left me for his Mistress, I tried all my possible means to get him back but it all seems to be in vain, So till the next day and did not come back home i search on what i could do to get my man back on the internet i saw a testimony about DR AZIBA how he helped lot of people to get there Lovers back and how he recently casted a spell for one Man to get his wife back, although i didn't believe in love spell, i contacted him because i loved my Husband and i want him back, So DR AZIBA performed the love spell and told me to wait for just 12 hours which i did, So surprisingly, My Husband sent me an apologizing Text and he started begging me, from that day, we became together and up till now, We are in love with each other like never before.. If you need any help, You can as well contact DR AZIBA via his Emails > priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com .You can also call him or write to him via WhatsApp +2348100368288 to contact him directly .
    My Regards...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 5 to 4 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a post that suggested that Dr OSOFO can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr OSOFO . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail: 

    osofo.48hoursolutioncenter@gmail.com

    WhatsApp +2349065749952  


    ReplyDelete