Tuesday 19 March 2019

Welcome, Annie.
In my last post, I introduced you to Elin and Lexi from 'Whispering Olive Trees'. I told you how difficult it was to say goodbye to them and move on to my next characters, especially Mary Ann Evans whom I've called Annie.  She will be the mother in the story and in the two weeks that have passed since that last post, I've been trying hard to get to know Annie better. I already know the time and place where Annie's story will be set, her family circumstances and have an insight into her feisty determined character. From the decisions she'll make, we'll see that she's loyal and selfless. It's the trait of determination that will come to the forefront when she becomes a mother herself. Missing her own mother who died when Annie was such a young age makes her steadfast in ensuring she does the best for her own daughter. 


How I imagine Annie to look
Although the story is not my mother's story, physically I imagine Annie looking like my own mum - petite and pretty, with luscious, thick, dark brown, waved hair and hazel green eyes. Like Annie, she was left to run the home and care for her younger brother and sister after the untimely death of her own mother. Like Annie, she and her father, my lovely granddad, were very close. But that is where the similarity ends. Mum later worked as a secretary for a local business man before joining the Land Army where she worked on the clerical side as opposed to working on the land. However, there are members of the family who did work in domestic service. My nana worked in Abbeycwmhir Hall and she and the Hall are the inspiration for Rose and Greystone Hall in my first mother daughter novel. My mother-in-law worked in service in Cardiff, London and Llandrindod Wells. Recently, because of this connection, a friend bought my husband a book about girls in service in Wales, 'No Job For a Little Girl - voices from domestic service' by Rosemary Scadden. 
It's an invaluable insight into their working conditions and I shall be using this as a reference when I attempt a re-write of my first novel, now named, 'The Secret Daughter'.  Annie, too, will witness conditions for girls in service at Cefn Court when she leaves her job as a stable girl and becomes a nurse-maid to the youngest member of the Pryce household.

Annie has inherited her mother's musical talent. She has a beautiful singing voice and is a keen member of the church choir. It is here that she makes firm friendships with other young people from the village whom she will come to rely on when she faces hardship. Of these, her special friend is Dolly who works as a kitchen maid at the Court. 


Cefn Court
As I showed you last week, I imagine Cefn Court to be a large imposing building, built in pale buff stone and home to the wealthy Pryce family. It is surrounded by an expanse of fields and rolling hills where Annie will ride Kenna, a beautiful chestnut mare, who belongs to Edmund, the son of Sir Charles and Lady Margaret, Annie's employers. Kenna's name means fiery, reflecting her temperament, a bit like Annie's! All I'll say at this stage is that, against the odds, handsome, blue-eyed Edmund will feature in Annie's story. 
Annie's locket

When Annie's mother dies, she leaves her daughter an 
engraved gold locket inscribed with a secret message. The locket is Annie's most treasured possession and she wears it round her neck every day. What happens to the locket, how Annie becomes parted from it and her desperation to find it again are all crucial elements of the story. 

Selecting some images has helped me 'see' the setting and character of Annie. I know that once I've plotted and planned the story, Annie will reveal more about herself to me. I'll get to know her mannerisms, her likes and dislikes and the way she feels. I can't wait to tell her story. As I like to have a working title for my WiP, what title should I choose? 'Annie's Story'? 'The Secret Locket'? 'Annie's Secret'?

Thank you for reading. Do you use images to help you 'see' characters in your story? I'm looking for an photo of a good looking fair haired young man who could be Edmund. At the moment, he is just in my head! Do you have one you would like to share? Do you have a treasured possession? Which title would you work with? I'd love to read what you think. Thanks.

You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBayLit and on my Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page.

3 comments:

  1. I've always collected images for my stories. Not just characters; everything from gardens & houses to significant inanimate objects. Although I always have an image of each of my character in my mind, I do like prompts as well.
    The way the past attaches to objects has long fascinated me & it's a popular motif in fiction. Not least the kind featuring family secrets!
    In Wild Spinning Girls (Book 3) Ida has a pair of worn red ballet shoes she's owned since she was a little girl. In Ghostbird, Cadi finds her dead sister's bangle & in Snow Sisters, Verity & Meredith wear identical snowflake pendants. (And of course, there's the sewing box!)

    As to your titles - I like them all but if I were writing the story I think I'd be inclined to go for simplicity. The Locket. It's been done before of course (Kate Chopin to name one) but there's no rule that says you can't use it too. The other thing to consider is using it as your working title & waiting until the 'real' one reveals itself. It could well be hidden within your narrative!
    Great post, as ever, Jan! Thank you! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I agree with you about the past attaching itself to inanimate objects. In 'The Secret Daughter', it was the handmade leather handbag and in 'Whispering Olive Trees', it was the secret diary and the painting of the solitary olive tree. I have always been fascinated by the objects in your books and the place the worn red ballet shoes will feature in 'Wild Spinning Girls' already intrigues me.

      I like the simplicity of your suggestion, 'The Locket' - thank you. As a working title, I'm sure it will change as I get more into the story but I don't want to just call it Book 3. It always seems more real with a title, doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! Although I use hashtags sometimes, for convenience (#Book3 etc) my books have more personalised working titles. Usually a prefix to 'Book': BlodynBook, SisterBook, RedShoesBook & now RiverBook! (There was once a TreeBook... Murdered sadly, but not before I'd plundered it for the juicy bits!) And in the pipeline, there's a FireBook.

      Titles are very personal & it can be scary. There's no guarantee our publisher will agree with our choice. Something I hadn't allowed for pre-publication! xXx

      Delete