Tuesday 21 January 2020

Looking Forward
The year ahead is a very special one for the RNA. It's the sixty year Diamond Anniversary of its existence and there are already many events being arranged around the country. 
2020 is also a very special year for me as a writer. It's the year when my dream of becoming a published author will come true. I was very late starting to write any type of fiction and especially when attempting to write full length novels in the last five years. I'm looking forward to 'Whispering Olive Trees' entering the world in April. So, what are my plans for the coming year?


 I hope:

  • to work with the editor from Ruby Fiction to get my debut novel ready for publication. Having submitted novel number two to my publisher, too, I hope to hear more about that one soon and be working on edits for that as well before the end of the year.
  • to research novel three before completing the first draft. This has stalled somewhat this year and I need to knuckle down to finishing it. Part of the novel involves one of the characters working for the French Resistance during WWII so I'm hoping to visit parts of northern France for location research. That's my excuse, anyway! It's a bit daunting as, now I'm a full member of the RNA, this will be the first novel I've written without the support of the wonderful New Writers' Scheme.  
  • to attend RNA events - the 'Love Writing Manchester' event in February, the RNA Conference at Harper Adams in July and the York Tea in September, for starters. It will be fun planning an event for our own Chapter with our members, too.
  • to read more, especially books in my genre.
  • to continue with the blog, now fortnightly. It's my way of supporting other authors through interviews and guest posts as well as logging events that happen on my own writing journey.
  • to continue to enjoy my writing, write more often and learn more about the craft.
Wish me luck! 

Thank you for reading and your generous support last year. I hope you achieve your writing goals in 2020. How do you prioritise what you want to achieve? My goals have changed over the six years I've been writing my blog. They are more general now, referring to the whole novel perhaps rather than one short story to be shortlisted, for example, but maybe they're bigger goals to achieve. How have yours changed? I'd love it if you shared your ideas. Thanks.

If you are at any of the RNA 'Diamond' celebrations, please introduce yourself and say 'Hi'. If you have a new book coming out or would like to share some writing news, please message me.


You may also follow me on @JanBaynham and on my Jan Baynham Writer page.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Jan. You've achieved so much and have many good things on the horizon, which will also encourage you to meet your writing goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. Your support along the way has been invaluable.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading your novel in April, Jan. Have a fantastic 2020!

    ReplyDelete