Monday 2 December 2019

Another Launch
Last night, I travelled to Worcester for the launch of the annual WorcestershireLitFest & Fringe anthology of flash fiction. I've been going every year since I first entered the competition in 2014 and read out my work to an audience for the first time. This year, three of my flashes appear in the anthology, one 'The Girl in the Looking Glass' had been placed 2nd and another, 'Dark Smoky Eyes' was shortlisted. It always amazes me when I start reading the flashes how varied they are in subject matter and writing style. Some are funny, some are sad, some quirky or obscure and others have a twist you didn't see coming. But they all tell a story in 300 words or fewer.


Our picture prompt, selected by
 Sue 
I've written about flash fiction on the blog before. The brevity of the pieces means you can write them in between longer stories and novels or when you're editing and missing the creative thrill of writing something new. Every word counts and the tight word count is perhaps a very good discipline for a waffler like me. This week, our local Chapter is holding its annual Christmas lunch at Cote Brasserie in Cardiff. Continuing with an idea we started last year, we have been given a picture prompt, selected by Sue McDonagh, for a flash fiction piece of no longer than 300 words to share after the meal. Does the image spark any ideas for you?


If you are a member of the RNA, a writing competition has just been announced. Romance Matters is launching a flash fiction competition. It's free to enter, max word count of 250 words on the theme of New Beginnings. The winner will be published in the next edition of the magazine. Deadline 13th December. You should email them to ellamatthewsauthor@gmail.com. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for reading. Do you enjoy reading or writing flash fiction? I'd love to hear why if you do. You may also follow me on @JanBayLit and on my Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. wow congrats, sounds fab. So interesting. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated thank you, Jane. ����

    ReplyDelete