Monday 15 April 2019

Jessie Cahalin Guest Blog Post


This week, I would like to welcome Jessie Cahalin, of Books in My Handbag Blog fame as my guest. I follow Jessie on Twitter and am a big fan of her blog so when I saw that she lived in Cardiff and had been accepted onto the RNA New Writers' Scheme, I invited her to join the local Chapter. Since then, it's been a pleasure getting to know her at the meetings and finding out more about how she started. 



It's over to you, Jessie. 

Living the Dream
I am an accidental blogger who never dreamed I would become synonymous with books and handbags. My creative journey has gathered pace and led me to mysterious destinations. However, I always Knew writing a novel would be a chapter in my life. When I reached my forties, my life long dream to write a novel re-emerged. Characters hassled me for years and it was time to set them free in my novel, You Can't Go It Alone. I tapped away on my laptop keyboard for six months; it was fun to finally meet the characters. At times, I was a little shocked at their behaviour. Manuscript written, I sought the advice of a professional editor and engaged in cutting, more cutting and shaping. Novel completed, I closed my laptop, ticked off one point on my bucket list, and hopped back onto my life. I mused that I would re-read my words again one day.

Unbeknown to me, my husband read the manuscript of You Can't Go It Alone. He self-published the novel, without my knowledge, as he knew I would dilly-dally. It shocked me but I decided to grab the opportunity and make connections withe the reading and writing community via a blog and social media. Initially, the aim of my blog was to share book reviews of all the books that had resonated with me over the years. I named the blog Books in My Handbag as all my books are on the Kindle, in my handbag. Playing on the theme of handbags, I tweeted photos of my novel in my handbag.


Overwhelmed by the positive comments about the photo, I realised it would be fun to ask authors to send their photos. I developed the Handbag Gallery to showcase the authors' books and provide a unique boost to the marketing of hundreds of authors. I now have almost fourteen thousand followers on Twitter, and the photos of books in handbags are always a hit.


The Handbag Gallery connected me to lots of authors and they have supported me with the writing process and promotion. I developed my virtual Chat Room then invited authors to share their writing experiences. Authors are incredibly generous with their pearls of wisdom, but there was a consensus that marketing is a challenge for indie and traditionally published authors alike. I've discovered that readers don't listen if you keep on promoting your own book so we must help each other. There is room for everyone out there; the key is to get your voice heard and we can't go it alone. I have created opportunities to support authors in my virtual blogging rooms and feel happy when they also meet other virtual friends on my blog.


This year, I moved beyond virtual connections with authors and reached out to the Romantic Novelists' Association. Having attended the RNA Afternoon Tea event, Lynda Stacey convinced me of the merits of the New Writers' Scheme and the benefits of connecting with the local Chapter. My second novel, Loving You, (working title), is a prequel to the first book but it has a central romance theme and is set in the seventies. This time, I will have the support of an experienced writer from the RNA and I feel secure in this knowledge. 


I don't know what the future holds for my second novel but I will investigate the benefits of both the traditional and indie routes. I can predict I will continue to write and have started my third novel; Books in My Handbag is also here to stay because it brings me so much joy. I am already booked into the RNA Conference in July and can't wait to meet more authors face to face.


Books are my bag, and they have connected me with authors, readers and dedicated book bloggers across the world. I am celebrating two years of my blog and am living the dream in writerly heaven. Grab your favourite bag and visit Books in My Handbag Blog to discover more about my creative journey. 

Thank you, Jessie. That's such an interesting post and I wish you loads of luck with your second novel. 

Here is a summary of Jessie's biography:
Jessie is a Yorkshire author living in Cardiff. Wales and words have a special place in her heart. She loves to entertain and challenge readers with her contemporary fiction and wants everyone to meet the characters who've been hassling her for years. Set in Wales, You Can't Go It Alone is a 'novel with a warm heart' and is the first book in a family saga. 

Besides writing and her popular blog, Jessie adores walking, talking, cooking and procrastinating. Walking helps her to sort out tangles in her narratives or articles. She searches for happy endings, where possible, and needs great coffee, food and music to give her inspiration. Jessie enjoys connecting with her readers and would be delighted to hear from you. Indeed, the readers requested the prequel to You Can't Do It Alone.

Contacts:
Jessie's Website - http://www.JessieCahalin.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/people/Jessie-Cahalin/100016975596193
Twitter - @BooksInHandbag
Email - jessiecahalin@aol.co.uk
Book Link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XQ5RVD5?tag=relinks-21 -


I do hope you have enjoyed reading Jessie's post. Do you follow her blog yet? Maybe you're an author whose book has appeared in her gallery. What do you think about her comment that we writers cannot go it alone? I'd love it if you shared your thoughts in a comment. Thank you. 

You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBayLit and on my  Jan Baynham Writer page.

11 comments:

  1. Good to know what our Jessie is up to! Yes, I agree that we can’t do all the writing things on our own, plus it’s much more fun to share the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fascinating story to read, wasn't it, Jena? Jessie is always so full of enthusiasm and keen to reach out to other authors. Because of her, I've found your blog and 'Golden Chapters'.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for taking an interest in the story of my writing. It is always a pleasure to chat with you, Jena.

      Delete
  2. As if by magic, you appeared online and invited me to an RNA meeting in Cardiff. Today, you've spread more magic and sparkle with your support and kindness. You have become a character my writing narrative, and I look forward to working with you in future. I am honoured to feature on this lovely blog crammed full of stories and word magic. I look forward to delving into your stories when they are published. I can't wait to celebrate your writing on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thank you, Jessie. I have found that the support and encouragement of other writers has been amazing. The comment in your post about not being able to going it alone is so true. In fact, it was through Twitter that I, too, was invited to join the local RNA Chapter by the lovely Sandra. I then applied to become a member of the New Writers' Scheme. I'm glad you've enjoyed some of the blog posts.

      Delete
  3. Always good to read another writer's process to publication. Thanks for sharing, & giving Jessie a platform for her story!
    I agree 100% about authors needing one another. It wasn't until I had my first book published & began to learn how social media works that I understood how the kindness of people I hardly knew would become such crucial support. And how so many of these people would become friends who I could then support & promote. xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've summed it up beautifully, there, Carol. It's good to receive support but also important to support and promote others - which you do in spades! To pinch a phrase you use about Honno authors, #fellow writers rock!

      Delete
    2. Carol, I am so pleased you enjoyed reading about my experience. I agree wholeheartedly with the power of mutual support. The writing community is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. I follow Jessie's blog and Twitter. I love that her husband knew her that well and did what he did. Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONTACT PRIEST AZIBA FOR A POWERFUL SPELL TO HELP YOU GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU BROKE UP OR WHOM HE/SHE MAY BE WITH NOW PRIEST AZIBA WILL HELP YOU GET THEM BACK CONTACT PRIEST VIA WHATSAPP: +2348100368288
    I am from United State,Michigan. I did not believe in Love spell magic for i thought and believed it was not real until the day that my Husband left me for his Mistress, I tried all my possible means to get him back but it all seems to be in vain, So till the next day and did not come back home i search on what i could do to get my man back on the internet i saw a testimony about DR AZIBA how he helped lot of people to get there Lovers back and how he recently casted a spell for one Man to get his wife back, although i didn't believe in love spell, i contacted him because i loved my Husband and i want him back, So DR AZIBA performed the love spell and told me to wait for just 12 hours which i did, So surprisingly, My Husband sent me an apologizing Text and he started begging me, from that day, we became together and up till now, We are in love with each other like never before.. If you need any help, You can as well contact DR AZIBA via his Emails > priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com .You can also call him or write to him via WhatsApp +2348100368288 to contact him directly .
    My Regards...

    ReplyDelete