Sunday 21 October 2018

Silent September
There have been no blog posts from me in September and it's the first time since the blog started in January 2014 that I've left it this long. However, I have been progressing on my writing journey and learning a lot - I've been in the editing cave! How has it taken me that long, you may ask? Didn't I start that in August? In next week's post, I shall tell you how I went about it prior to submitting my novel.

I wasn't editing for the whole time, though, and here are some writing related things I did:

Amazon Author Academy Wales
This was a free event held at the Celtic Manor in
Newport. The first session was led by Darren Hardy who led us through the process of uploading a book on Amazon's KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing). For someone like me who has never tried to self-publish, or even contemplate it, he made it seem very straightforward! He demonstrated every step and stressed the benefits of publishing independently. The second session was entitled How To Write a Best Seller and took the form of a panel discussion. Darren interviewed Orla Ross, Mark Dawson and L. J. Ross, three indie authors, whose books sell well. The third session dealt with Marketing Your Books and Finding Readers and the business side of writing.  The importance of finding readers, turning them into fans and finally into ambassadors for your books was stressed. The authors all agreed that having a social media presence was essential. Any ways to promote your book through mailing lists, target ads., price promotions, launch packages, pre-ordering a long time in advance of publication and blogging a few sample chapters beforehand were mentioned as successful strategies by the three novelists. The final session was Making It Happen - The Business of Being an Author. Members on the panel discussed outsourcing things like accountancy, cover designs and editing. Jo McCrum of The Society of Authors talked about contacts. It was an interesting day and it was good to catch up with author friends and meet new writers.

Publishing Options and Submitting Your Novel - 
This was the second of Alison May's workshops I attended in Birmingham. As always the day was full of interesting and helpful advice, plenty of interactive activity and above all it was fun. In June, we had looked at editing and the analytical aspects of writing, but this session concentrated on the business side. Alison started by looking at the pros. and cons. of Traditional v. Self Publishing. She talked to us about pitching our novels to agents or publishers and the importance of making 'every word work really hard.' She asked us to write pitches for our current novels. As always, I found it hard to be succinct and cut back to the essential information that summed up or sold my book. I have worked hard on that since! She also talked about contracts and how the Society of Authors can help check these if you are a member. The day flew by and I was amazed at how much Alison covered - blurbs, the effectiveness of book covers chosen by publishers to make the book sell well, synopses and how to submit to the appropriate publishers/agents for you. I came away with my head buzzing, keen to get back to the WiP. I highly recommend attending a course run by Alison!

Sparkle Writing 1: Hook and Hold
This was an excellent day's writing workshop organised by the RNA Marcher Chapter in Hereford. It was run by Libertร  Books and it focused 'on the vital first 10% of your story, roughly the free sample that an e-book buyer can download.' Author Joanna Maitland, a member of the Chapter, was the presenter and kept us busy for the whole day with examples, practical ideas and activities for: 
  • the HOOK to get the reader to start reading
  • the HOLD to keep the reader reading to the end of the excerpt
  • the 10% moment to get the reader to BUY the book
I came away with plenty of food for thought and when I returned to the editing, I looked at the beginning of my novel with a very critical eye! 

As well as helping to plan the Autumn term meetings for the South and West Wales Chapter of the RNA, attending meetings and catching up with writing buddies, you can see I haven't neglected my writing journey completely. It's just that I've kept it to myself! I have finally finished editing Whispering Olive Trees and last week, I submitted it to the two editors who requested the full manuscript at the 2018 Conference in Leeds. Both said they were happy to wait for it; at that stage, most of the novel was in a first draft form. I'll try now to forget about it and intend to start planning novel number three in earnest. It's going to be another mother/daughter saga, this time involving a 'foundling' and the contrasting location will be war-time France. I can't wait to get back to story-telling and writing again. 

Thank you for reading and returning to the blog after an absence of posts from me.Can you write alongside editing or, like me, can you only work on one thing at a time? I'd love to hear how you work.

You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBayLit and on Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page.

13 comments:

  1. After such a busy summer I think you can be forgiven for not blogging in September! Congratulations on submitting your draft - wishing you every success.
    Sadly I can only concentrate on one task at a time, and I admit to struggling to maintain focus on that at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bea. I sympathise and can only stand back in admiration at those writers who can keep everything going at once.

      Delete
  2. Good to have you back, Jan & congratulations on your submissions!
    I'm sure a lot of writers find themselves twiddling their blogging thumbs at some stage. This one most of all - I empathise - my own blog has been neglected for a good month too. And for a similar reason. Detailed & intense rewriting, re-submitting & now waiting for my editor's decision.
    It's the infamous 'Waiting Room of Doom' & while we wait, there's little *to* say. You've been focused on your story & your writing - quite right too!
    I wish you every best wish & pob lwc! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. It’s good to know I’m not alone. As well as wishing you loads of luck to get the right decision from your editor as a fellow writer, as a reader I can’t wait for book 3! ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ€

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've had a very busy and productive month, Jan! Fingers crossed for your MS - it's wonderful to have two editors interested in it - and all the best for your latest work too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. A long way to go but I’m pleased to be asked to send the whole manuscript. I hope your writing’s going well, too.

      Delete
  4. First of all, congratulations on finishing your editing and sending your book out on submission. I know how hard you must have worked. Concentrating on one piece of work is the best way to get it done, obviously, because you can immerse yourself in it. But just wait, Jan... the time will come when you have to work on edits for one book and copy-edits for another and meanwhile the deadline is looming on the WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I can only imagine how busy you are but, as a big fan of your sagas, I can’t wait for the next books. You’ve whetted my appetite with the cover of ‘The Sewing Room Girl’ already and good luck with finishing the WiP. I’m very impressed that you manage to keep your excellent blog posts up-to-date, to.

      Delete
    2. A blog post worth waiting for, Jan! I think you've achieved so much this year on your writing journey - attending courses & conferences plus contributing so much to our local RNA chapter. I wish you well with your submissions and hope that well-deserved success is just around the corner.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for these comments and good wishes, Sandra (Mackness). It’s been a pleasure working with you planning meetings for the South and West Wales Chapter. I value your support and experience with my writing, too. ����

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all that going on I'm very impressed you managed to edit a novel in just a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in, Patsy. The editing took over my life ... well, almost. Hope your writing is going well. I remember you saying once that everyone should do NaNoWriMo once and I've never managed to match the enthusiasm and commitment I had the first time I did it and wrote over 50,000 words. I hope to do that again one year but this year am happy to be writing something every day if I can.

      Delete
  7. replica watches, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of replica omega watches, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete