Thursday 27 February 2014

A Sense of Place

There won't be a post next Thursday because I shall be on a week's break in Gran Canaria. I've got my books and Kindle at the ready and I shall be taking my writer's notebook too. 

Different places can spark ideas for setting stories in a variety of locations. One of mine is called 'Meet Me by the Jacaranda Tree', set on the beautiful island of Madeira and is one of my moving on stories where Lucy has to decide whether to move on with her life after Rob's betrayal.

The beauty of the Jacaranda puts her back in touch with her senses which have been dulled by the acrimonious break up. 

The photograph prompt gave me an excuse to indulge myself and write more figurative and descriptive language than I would normally do in a short story. 



I often use pictures and photographs as settings for stories so I may get some good ones next week, who knowsWhat is the most exotic or unusual place you've used as a setting for a story? Did it add to the plot or have a bearing on the actions of any of the characters? Please comment and share your ideas.

Thanks for reading and if you'd like to follow me on Twitter, you'll find me on @JanBayLit.

2 comments:

  1. I like to travel, but rarely use the places I go as settings for my stories.

    Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patsy. I'm looking forward to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete